I do not mean to sound like your mom here, :) but a good piece of advice in this racing paced modern world, is to let go of your mobile phone, computer and other devices at least one to two hours before bedtime. - That will stop new stressors from entering the mind and we have enough already from a whole day of work etc. It will give you a chance to calm your mind and make your thoughts race less.
10 mins before bedtime, try this quick and soothing meditation practice that will put your mind to rest and make your body relaxed:
- Sit up in a tall, but comfortable position and close your eyes.
- Breathe in 3-5 deep and cleansing breaths, as you feel. - Slowly inhaling through the nose and exhaling through your mouth - try making an audible sound as you do this.
- Bring your hands into your lap, palms facing down.
- Inhale through your nose in 3 segments, the first to expand your belly, then your ribcage, finally your chest.
- Hold your breath for a count of 3 before opening your mouth and letting it out with an audible sigh. Do this 3 to 5 times.
- Inhale through your nose, counting to 3, and exhale through your nose counting 6.
- Continue with this breathing, pausing for a moment at the end of the exhale before taking your next breath.
- Continue this slowly for a few minutes while gently pushing out any thoughts and returning back to focus on your breath every time a thought or feeling come up.
A good tip is to set a timer for 10 mins so that you can relax and not wonder how long time you have been at it, and when to stop.
Some days you will feel absolutely calm and content, other times you will have trouble calming your mind. The trick is to keep at it, and you will see vast improvements in your mood and sleep quality.